Fort Lauderdale Sex Crime Lawyer
Protect Your Future by Calling Hager & Schwartz, P.A.
Sex offenses are some of the most heavily penalized crimes in Florida. While these crimes often carry heavy penalties just in their minimum sentences, they are unique in that prosecutors almost always attempt to pursue maximum sentences – in addition to mandatory sex offender registration, which is enforced under Florida Law. On top of that, most people who stand accused may also face additional scrutiny and social stigmatization, regardless of whether or not they have been convicted.
If you have been accused of a sex offense, you need a Fort Lauderdale sex crime attorney on your side. At Hager & Schwartz, we stand up for the rights of those faced with the harsh reality of the criminal justice system, and our reputation for success is one we have worked hard to maintain. We treat each case with the utmost professionalism, fighting for your rights both in and out of the courtroom and working with you to create a hard-hitting, impactful defense against your prosecution.
Hager & Schwartz, P.A. is here to help you fight for the best possible outcome. Call our sex crime lawyers in Fort Lauderdale today at (954) 840-8713.
Powerful Defense for All Types of Sex Crimes
After being accused of a crime, especially one of a sexual nature, the first step you should take is to seek the guidance of a lawyer. Remember that every move you make after an accusation will be scrutinized and weighed heavily, and your actions may play a role in how your case turns out.
At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., we handle all types of sex crime charges, such as:
- Statutory rape
- Sexual battery/assault
- Indecent exposure
- Sexual abuse
- Child molestation
- Child pornography
We have proven experience helping clients for over 40 years, and we have a winning reputation to show for it. Our founding attorneys, Brett Schwartz and John Hager, have both worked as former state prosecutors in Broward County and have practiced on all levels of the Florida court system.
Penalties for Common Sex Crimes in Florida
The majority of sex offenses are considered felonies, which carry a year or more in prison plus substantial fines. However sex offenses also usually carry subsequent penalties as well, including sex offender probation and sex offender registration, which mandates that you register with local law enforcement and have your information placed in a publically-accessible database. Those who have been convicted of a sex offense usually struggle to find housing, employment, and more.
Here are the penalties for just a few of the most common sex crimes:
- Internet sex offenses: Grooming or soliciting a minor with the intent of meeting them for sexual activity, child pornography (possession, creation, or distribution), or sending explicit material to a minor can all carry more than a year in prison and fines of up to $10,000.
- Lewd or lascivious battery: Engaging in sexual activity with a minor, provided the minor is older than 12 but younger than 16, carries up to 15 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.
- Lewd or lascivious exhibition: Lewd or lascivious exhibition involves sexual displays in front of a minor, including things like exposing genitals or subjecting a minor to viewing sexual activity such as anal or oral penetration. This can carry up to 15 years in prison and a fine up to $10,000.
- Rape or sexual battery: Rape is one of the most serious offenses in the Florida criminal codes. Those found guilty face a minimum sentence of nine years in prison with no chance for early release. And the sentence only goes up even further if aggravating factors are present.
- Sexual battery of a minor: Sexual battery against a minor older than 12 but younger than 16 carries a minimum of nine years in prison and two years of sex offender probation. Battery of a minor younger than 12 is considered “capital sexual battery,” which carries life in prison.
Call Now for Your Free Consultation: (954) 840-8713
Defending clients against criminal charges involves careful planning and preparation, as well as thorough investigation into the details surrounding the case. At Hager & Schwartz, our aim is to look for the weaknesses in the defense, use that to your advantage, and guide the case in your favor.
When it comes to cases involving sexual offenses, remember that the effects can be damaging to your future – beyond the criminal penalties. With so much at stake, there is no reason not to retain legal representation as soon as possible to advocate for you and make sure your rights are upheld.
Contact Hager & Schwartz, P.A. now for a free, confidential case review.