Fort Lauderdale Theft Attorneys
Theft Crime Defense in Broward County Florida
Theft covers a broad range of specific offenses under Florida law. Essentially, theft involves intentionally taking another person’s property or possessions and either permanently or temporarily depriving the other person of their right to it or their ability to benefit from it. If convicted of theft, you could face a wide variety of penalties ranging from fines to time in prison.
At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., our skilled theft lawyers in Fort Lauderdale have decades of legal experience, including experience as former prosecutors. This provides us with a unique perspective on how the prosecution is likely to approach your case. We tailor our defense to your unique situation and fight to uphold your rights from start to finish.
Schedule a free case evaluation with us at your earliest convenience by calling (954) 840-8713. We are available 24/7!
Theft Cases We Handle
Over the years, our firm has handled a wide variety of theft cases. We understand Florida’s laws governing theft crimes and understand how Broward County prosecutors pursue these cases. During your initial consultation, we can discuss what your potential defenses may be and how we can help you through your present circumstances.
Our Fort Lauderdale theft attorneys defend against all kinds of theft crimes, including:
- Computer fraud
- Mortgage fraud
- Identity theft
- Credit card theft
Penalties for Theft in Broward County
Theft can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony. Penalties for a theft crime depend on the value of the stolen property and the circumstances of the incident.
Circumstances that may exacerbate your charges include:
- Committing theft against an elderly person (age 65 or older)
- Using or threatening to use a weapon during the crime
- Trafficking stolen property
- Committing a separate crime in the course of committing a theft crime
- Using a motor vehicle during the commission of the crime (other than using it as a getaway vehicle)
- Extensively damaging the property or premises while committing the crime
The biggest difference in punishment, however, is in considering whether it was petty theft or grand theft.
Petty Theft Charges
- First-degree petty theft: Property must be valued between $100 and $299. Penalties include a fine of $1,000 and a maximum jail sentence of 1 year.
- Second-degree petty theft: Property must be valued at less than $100. Penalties include a fine of $500 and a maximum jail sentence of 60 days.
Grand Theft Charges
- First-degree grand theft: Property must be valued at $100,000 or more. Penalties include a fine of $10,000 and a maximum prison sentence of 30 years.
- Second-degree grand theft: Property must be valued between $20,000 and $99,000. Penalties include a fine of $10,000 and a maximum prison sentence of 15 years.
- Third-degree grand theft: Property must be valued between $300 and $19,000. Penalties include a $5,000 fine and a maximum jail sentence of 5 years.
Possible Defenses for Theft Crimes in Florida
If you have been charged with a theft crime or believe you are under investigation for one, turn to the team at Hager & Schwartz, P.A. right away. The sooner we can get started crafting a defense strategy, the better off you will be. We fight to ensure that our clients’ rights are not violated by prosecutors or law enforcement officials at any stage of the process.
Potential defense strategies we may employ include:
- Involuntary intoxication
- A genuine belief that you owned or had a right to possess the allegedly stolen property
- You had consent from the property owner to take or use the property
Call Us 24/7 to Request Your Free Case Review
If you or someone you love has been arrested for theft in Broward County, it is imperative that you reach out to a Fort Lauderdale theft crime lawyer at Hager & Schwartz, P.A. as soon as possible. As former state prosecutors, our criminal defense attorneys know how the other side of the courtroom operates. They also share decades of collective legal experience.
We are available 24/7, so don’t wait any longer to get the help you need. Initial consultations are always free and confidential. Call us today at (954) 840-8713.
He over time has become more than an attorney but truly a friend
He is a connoisseur of his craft and conveyed all arguments to its full potential.- Arthur S
He got it done!- John Bruno
John Hager is one of a Kind!!!- anonymous
"He worked tirelessly and relentlessly to get my case dropped"- Michael
Case Dismissed Aggravated Battery
Case Dismissed Armed Robbery
Case Dismissed Battery
Resolved Burglary Battery
Charges Not Filed Disorderly Conduct
Dismissed Domestic Battery
Dismissed Domestic Violence Battery
Dismissed Domestic Violence Battery
Charges Dropped Domestic Violence Battery
Charges Dismissed Domestic Violence Battery