What Should You Do When Charged With Identity Theft?
January 14, 2021
What Is Considered Sale Of Controlled Substance?
January 27, 2021

How To Handle Tax Evasion Charges In Florida

By Hager & Schwartz, P.A.

January 21, 2021

Tax evasion charges, unfortunately, can be very common to those who forget to file their taxes. People often feel like they can’t pay the amount the government requires, or they may have just been too distracted to file their return. Whatever the case may be, the IRS and Florida Department of Revenue takes tax violations very seriously.

The government is aware that mistakes happen. If you forget to fill out your tax return one year, it may not be a major issue – it will merely be a misdemeanor. However, if you fail to do so multiple years in a row, it may turn into a federal crime.

These are common red flags the IRS tends to look for:

  • Under-reporting income

  • Failing to cooperate with IRS

  • Concealing illegal behaviors or activities

  • Has more write-offs or deductions than usual

  • Hiding money in offshore bank accounts

In order for a conviction to be held, the government must prove several details that must be present for it actually to constitute tax evasion. The first aspect is that there was an initial tax requirement that was avoided. Then it must be shown that evasion was a part of a scheme to refuse or get out of paying taxes intentionally. There must clearly be a motive behind the deception. It is also the hardest to prove. Anyone convicted of tax evasion related issue may be punished with a fine, jail time, or both. For normal tax evasion, jail time cannot exceed 20 years.

What Should You Do Next?

If you or a loved one has been charged with tax evasion, often the next best step to take is to talk to a criminal defense lawyer. The cost of fines combined with the cost of having a conviction on your record can be detrimental.

At Hager & Schwartz, P.A., we may be able to help with your charges today. Call us today to talk to someone about setting up your defense for your case. (954) 840-8713